Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Detroit Tigers 2022-23 Offseason

    


     As you all read yesterday, I talked about the horrific letdown that was the 2022 Detroit Tigers season. In this post, I will talk about what, in my personal opinion, the Tigers should do in this 2022-23 offseason to improve this team. Just to give you a bit of a background for why I believe I am qualified to make these comments, first, I played baseball for 10 years and understand the talent level needed to compete. Second, growing up I have been a diehard Tigers fan and know what this team once was and can be once again. Last, I have an opinion and a right to share it.

Subtractions

    The first thing I would like to touch on, before I mention additions that need to be made, I would like to mention the subtractions from the team that I'd like to see the Tigers make. First, it is time to move on from Jeimer Candelario. The Tigers first acquired Jeimer Candelario in a 2017 trade with the Chicago Cubs, which saw the Tigers sending relief pitcher Justin Wilson and catcher Alex Avila in return for Candelario, as well as fellow prospect infielder Isaac Parades. Since acquiring Candelario from the Cubs, he has had only one productive year at the plate and that was in the 2021 season where he slashed .271/16/67 with 42 doubles. Outside of this year, not counting the shortened 2020 season, he had no hit higher than .224 with the Tigers. His defense is sub-par, nothing to be in love with. They have given him 5 years, and he has not shown any improvement or shown any signs of being a consistent offensive producer. 

    The second player they need to move on from is veteran infielder Jonathan Schoop. Schoop has been with the Tigers for 3 seasons including the shortened 2020 season. He had a great start with the team in 2020 and 2021 slashing .278/8/39 in 44 games in 2020 and .278/22/84 in 156 games in 2021. The Tigers signed him to a 2-year, $15 million contract extension prior to the start of the 2022 season. This extension would prove to be an overpayment based on his play in this season. In 131 games, he slashed .202/11/38. This was a drastic fall from grace from the 2021-2022 season. There are plenty of teams that would be in the market for a veteran infielder that can play both second base and first base that could come off of the bench to hit in a clutch moment. Also, as we've seen with Robbie Grossman, once a veteran leaves the Tigers he instantly gets two time better than he was playing previously. Plain and simple, 1-year left on his deal, trade him and get some sort of value from him now while you may still be able to.

    Lastly, and most importantly, get rid of Gregory Soto! Since joining the Tigers in 2019, he has 4.13 era, 210 strikeouts and 120 walks. While he had a good year this past year on paper with a 3.28 era and 30 saves, when you watch him, you are constantly holding your breath because he allows teams to get back into it so late in the game. I understand he is a bit of a unicorn as a left-handed pitcher who can throw a 99+ MPH Sinker and a sweeping slider, but his control just is not there. I believe it is time, at the very least, to move on from him as our closer if not all together. Unfortunately, I can see the Tigers bringing back all three of these players for the 2023 season.

Additions

    The Tigers already have six players on the payroll for next season with a total payout of $84.65 million. At least $25 million dollars will be falling off of the payroll in 2023, giving the new General Manager some room to make some signings to improve this team for the long-term. Some good relievers that could be brought in to bolster the bullpen are going to free agents, including former Tigers pitcher Michael Fulmer and Archie Bradley. If you are not looking to make multiple signings and you want to make a splash, I say you go after an established bat that can come in to this team and make an impact immediately. Someone like a Brandon Nimmo, Mitch Haniger, Joc Pederson or Andrew Benintendi. This would immediately bolster our outfield as well. If you wanted to make a very big splash you could go after bigger names such as Michael Conforto or Josh Bell. I don't see them making any splashes this year after making a couple last offseason, but no one knows what the future truly holds.

Young Emerging Stars

    We saw many new faces on this Tigers team this year, including highly-touted prospects Riley Greene and Spencer Torkleson, as well as, lesser-known prospects Ryan Kreidler and Kody Clemens. I believe these new faces need to be here to stay and take over the starting jobs from some of the diminishing veterans. We need to go full Chicago Cubs/Cleveland Guardians mode. I believe, not looking at injures the following could be the starting rotation and lineups on opening day

Starting Rotation

  1. Tarik Skubal
  2. Eduardo Rodriguez
  3. Spencer Turnbull
  4. Matt Manning
  5. Beau Brieske

Lineup

  1. Riley Greene, CF
  2. Javier Baez, SS
  3. Joc Pederson, RF
  4. Spencer Torkleson, 1B
  5. Ryan Kreidler, 3B
  6. Eric Haase, C
  7. Miguel Cabrera, DH
  8. Kody Clemens, 2B
  9. Victor Reyes, LF
   To wrap up, I believe the Tigers won't make any major splashes but will most likely grab another nid-level bat in the offseason like a Brandon Nimmo or a Joc Pederson. This team isn't going to get better over night, but taking a few steps in the right direction will help for sure. Start getting the team to a younger age and move on from your diminishing veterans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Detroit Tigers Trade Deadline Preview and Predictions

           With the MLB All-Star break approaching, this means that the trade deadline is also looming. July 30th is the MLB trade deadline....